Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas!!



So, my first batch of Christmas presents are in!!  So far, I have come out with three sanguinary guard, an assault squad, a librarian, a terminator captain, and a vindicator tank.  I also have a whole bunch of ork heads.  (Thanks Mom!!)  Nothing else, just the heads.  I'll explain that one later.



So, if anyone has ever tried to put together assault marines, they know that the contact point of the foot to the base is hardly enough for any real hold from any glue, short of maybe literal cement.  They were nice with the sanguinary guard, at least, and put a rock under their foot to increase the amount of surface area in contact with the base.  Well, that's great for them, but I love me some assault marines!!  Then suddenly, an idea came to me.

People always told me to use little stones or something under the elevated foot, but I didn't want to go find/buy a bunch of rocks.  I decided to go a little different direction.  I bought ork heads.  $0.99 per 5, they were pretty cheap.  Now they'll be glued to the base and have a foot glued to them.  If it works decent, I might try other body parts or features underneath the foot.  Pictures will certainly follow as I get them (and my other units) put together and painted up.

In the mean time, a google image search brought up these gems below.  Enjoy.  (Props for anyone that can tell me the base model used for Santa).


5 comments:

  1. Excellent special rules, may have to give them a go. Have to be next year, I don't think I'll get a game in before christmas now!

    As for the model, I'm sure I recognise it but I don't think it's in production any more... I certainly couldn't find what I was thinking of on the GW website. Is it an old power fist sergeant? Or possibly an old marneus calgar model?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, possibly this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GW-Warhammer-40K-Space-Marine-Power-Fist-/250671335255?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item3a5d2d0757

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, perhaps clarification is in order...I was talking about the base model used for the Santa datasheet. It's actually the same basic stats and renamed special rules (with the addition of one or two others). For the Santa pic, it's a sergeant with a powerfist and an altered pistol hand. The beard was done with green stuff. I've actually seen the progress pictures, though I don't remember how long it's been since I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah right... well in that case with his ability to give his christmas spirit to someone else it's sergeant Tellion or something... the scout sergeant unique character in the Space Marine Codex.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep!! Sgt Telion. That's even the model with a few modifications with modeling putty of some kind.

    ReplyDelete