Saturday, August 6, 2011

Reclamation of Tarmin, Planetfall

So, I started another campaign with my uncle now.  It began with a planetstrike mission, as my forces landed to reclaim the planet from the ork horde now infesting it.  We decided to use our special characters that we would use for the campaign as well.  It was certainly an interesting battle to say the least.



I brought a full 10 man squad of terminators with my Epistolary character and a Sanguinary priest.  Both the independent characters were in terminator armor as well.  My original intent was to deep strike them in and then assault (which planetstrike allows you to do if they have the deep strike special rule already), but the positioning of the orks would provide me a greater opportunity.  The rest of my list was comprised of some death company, a death company dread, an assault squad, and my land raider redeemer.  Over half my points were in that terminator squad...totally worth it.

So, in Planetstrike, one side is defending a fortress type thing while the other takes it.  I was the attacker, he was the defender.  So, what dirty tricks did he have up his sleeve?  Well, for starters, he didn't deploy.  Everything he had was in reserve.  So very annoying.  He also had his interceptor guns lined up, but my firestorms took care of that.  He rolled for his reserves, and his bikers came in on my edge.  With that, he was able to tear apart my death company dread on his first turn with his Nob bikers.  But that was just the beginning of fun.  They were now at the table edge that I came in on.  Terminator squad walks onto the edge and tears apart that squad of bikers, led by a warboss.  Next turn, he would come in with the other squad and assault me.  Terminator squad tears through that squad of bikers too.

On the other side of the field, two squads of boys showed up.  So, I did what any other commander would do: dropped a crapload of space junk on their heads.  4 good sized craters tore through a good number of the boys.  What was left met my death company that dropped in and tore through some more.  In the end, though, I lost that squad to the second squad of boys.  My assault squad in my land raider decided that the middle of the battle would be a good time to get coffee at the bastion.  So they did.  Kicked their feet up, sipped some coffee, told funny stories.  Yeah.

In the end, we called the game by turn three.  I had three squads and a tank left, he had half a boys squad left.  There was absolutely no way he could have won.  Plus, we had already been playing far too long for a small game like that (we were easily distracted by the awesome food he always makes when I come over).  The victory allowed me to level up my character, who took Eternal Warrior (yay, no more instant death worries) and I will get an extra territory in the coming campaign.  More will follow on our first game next Wednesday.

NOTE: The campaign rules are a slightly modified version of the Inquisitor's Map Based Campaign Primer, found on Inquisitor Lord Aki's blog (check my followers).

No comments:

Post a Comment